From Lunapark To Kaaitheater
Kaaitheater will be participating to the Open Monument Weekend with an exhibition on the history of the Kaaitheater building and the surrounding area.
In the beginning of the 20th century there was a Luna Park on the Kaaitheater site. This explains the building’s original name: the Lunatheater. This theatre opened on 7th October 1932 but was already forced to close in 1934. Was this due to the premature death of the director Ernest Kindermans just two weeks after the opening? Or to the fact that Square Sainctelette had for years been a building site?
The exhibition shows remarkable material on the old harbour area, the construction of Square Sainctelette and the construction of the Lunatheater.