Etienne Guilloteau/Action Scénique & ZWERM [FR/BE]
Feu will go ahead, but with increased security. Bear in mind that there will be stricter admission checks. Please arrive well on time!
- No rucksacks or large bags will be allowed in the building – please leave them at home.
- Are you coming on a collapsible bike? If so, leave your saddlebags at home.
- Security staff will check smaller bags and handbags before you can enter.
- You will not be admitted into the café or foyer without a ticket. The evening box office will be open, but we would ask you to buy your ticket in advance. This will make things go more smoothly.
Resistance as a dance solo
Sophocles’ Antigone was the personification of resistance. For the first time in theatre history, a character breaks away from the group to claim a solo role opposite the orchestra. In this new solo by Etienne Guilloteau her role is danced by the Argentine Cecilia Lisa Eliceche.
First there were the artists with whom Guilloteau wanted to work: one dancer and the four guitarists of the Belgian-Dutch quartet Zwerm. And when that group was formed, Guilloteau immediately saw that he had found his theme: ‘As the Sophocles specialist Jacques Lacarrière said: with Antigone this is the first time in the history of theatre that a character separates herself from the group, like a solo in an orchestra. In my choreography Antigone appears opposite four musicians playing electric guitars. She embodies hubris, with regard not to the gods or fate, but to the laws of men and the power of tyrants.’
The music of Zwerm covers a broad spectrum, ranging from contemporary classical to experimental rock. Apart from the unequal struggle between a dancer and four musicians on stage, the quartet also embodies the chorus that appears in Sophocles’ original play.
• Together with Nada Gambier and Claire Croizé, the French dancer and choreographer Etienne Guilloteau forms the Action Scénique production company. Guilloteau has danced and worked with Rosas, Vincent Dunoyer, Charlotte Vanden Eynde and Marc Vanrunxt.
choreography Etienne Guilloteau | dance Cecilia Lisa Eliceche | live music Zwerm | lights Hans Meijer | sculpture Jean-Loup Leclercq | costumes Anne-Catherine Kunz | production Action Scénique | co-production Kunstencentrum Buda (Kortrijk) | in collaboration with STUK (Leuven), wpZimmer (Antwerp), Kaaitheater (Brussels), Pianofabriek kunstenwerkplaats (Brussels) | with the support of The Flemish Authorities